Planning Your Construction Project 432 (DRAFT)
Welcome to West Whiteland Township's permitting and inspections information hub.
Do I really NEED a Permit?
If you’re asking yourself this question, the answer is likely, yes, you really do. State law requires you to obtain a permit for most changes to a building or the systems within that building. The permitting and inspection process allows code officials to review the details of your project to ensure that it meets the minimum required construction standards for fire protection, structural integrity, energy efficiency and occupancy. Obtaining a permit is a safeguard for the owners and occupants of a building that the work is being done correctly and safely.
Overview of the permitting process - steps and requirements (add link to PDF)
Know Your Parcel
In order to complete your permit application, you may need access to some information you don't have at the tip of your fingers. These resources can help
- Impervious coverage calculator
- Interactive map (Marie - I think the best thing here would be to create a separate PDF of instructions for the zoning map, as it is not intuitive)
- ChesCo Views (click on Find and enter your address for acreage and identification numbers)
What to consider when hiring a contractor (include link)
We Are Here to Help
Property owners and/or contractors are encouraged to meet with the Codes department prior to submitting an application to review submittal requirements and expectations of the review, inspection and closeout process.
Call Before You Dig!
Whether it's you or your contractor doing the work, any type of digging requires a call to request that the approximate location of buried utilities be marked with paint or flags so that you don't unintentionally dig into an underground utility line. Building a deck? Planting a tree? Installing a fence or mailbox? Know what's below. Call 811 before you dig..
- Is a new use and occupancy permit required for buying or selling a single family residential dwelling?
- What construction codes does West Whiteland Township follow?
- Are there restrictions on the types of pets that I can keep on my property?
- I am repaving my driveway. Do I need a permit?
- Are residents permitted to engage in outdoor burning on their property?