West Whiteland Township was incorporated in 1765 and exists as a Township of the Second Class under Pennsylvania law. The Township is governed by an elected, three member Board of Supervisors. The Code of the Township provides for a Township Manager to assist the Board with departmental administration, except for the police department, which is managed by the Chief of Police. In addition to the Board of Supervisors West Whiteland Township has 60 full and part-time employees as well as nine volunteer boards and commissions.
Together, the Board, staff, and volunteers forge an organization that provides excellent public safety, public works, planning, historic preservation, parks, wastewater, solid waste and recycling services for residents visitors, businesses, and organizations within West Whiteland Township.